an organic compound containing a carbonyl group =C=O bonded to two hydrocarbon groups, made by oxidizing secondary alcohols. The simplest such compound is acetone.
WHAT ARE KETONES?
Ketones, also known as “ketone bodies,” are byproducts of the body breaking down fat for energy that occurs when carbohydrate intake is low.
Here’s how it works:
- When there isn’t a sufficient level of available glucose — which is what the body uses for its main source of fuel — and glycogen levels are depleted, blood sugar and insulin are lowered and the body looks for an alternative source of fuel: in this case, fat.
- This process can happen when a person fasting, after prolonged exercise, during starvation, or when eating a low-carb, ketogenic diet.
- And when the body begins breaking down fats for energy like this, a process known as beta-oxidation, ketones are formed for use as fuel for the body and brain. This is known as ketosis.
- People following a ketogenic diet specifically reduce their carbohydrate intake for this reason: to create ketones for energy.
Many people use the benefits of ketosis — less reliance on carbs and more burning of fat — to possibly help lower blood pressure, reduce cravings, improve cholesterol, increase weight loss, improve energy, and more.
TYPES OF KETONE BODIES
So, what else about ketones do we need to know? To start, there are technically three types of ketone bodies:
- Acetoacetate (AcAc)
- Beta-hydroxybutyric acid (BHB)
What are Nootropics?
Nature-Based Nootropic Supplements. Unlike nootropics that are traditional herbs, these supplements are based on naturally occurring substances that get some help from human ingenuity. Their active ingredients may be extracted from and/or synthesized from natural compounds.
Notable Natural and Herbal Nootropics
- Huperzine-A. Many people classify Huperzine-A as a natural nootropic because it is derived from the Chinese club moss plant. …
- Bacopa Monnieri. Bacopa Monnieri is an extract from the Brahmi plant. …
- Lion’s Mane. …
- Ginkgo Biloba. …
- Artichoke Extract. …